CMC, the first indigenous religious congregation for women in the Syro Malabar Church, was founded as the Third Order of Carmelites Discalced on February 13th 1866 at Koonammavu, Kerala by Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara (1805-1871) with the cooperation of Fr. Leopold Beccaro OCD.
Fr. Chavara envisioned the spiritual renaissance and holistic wellbeing of the Indians through the initiation of the congregation. CMC is rooted in the Indian Culture, nourished by the heritage of St. Thomas Christians.
Today CMC renders her faithful service for the people through various forums in four continents like Asia, Africa, America and Europe with much dedication. The ‘charisma’ of CMC can be summarised as the personal sanctification through the blending of contemplation and action as well as the redemptive uplift of the people principally of women and children.